Asked King Sunny Ade why he played the guitar after 17 years and what made him relevant in the music industry for over 50 years
You returned with your guitar tonight at the Glo Evergreen Series. How long have you performed without your guitar?
I think for about 17 years I have not played the guitar in Nigeria on stage, though I do that at world tours. I also have a lot of guitars which I play in studios. I am also a producer.
Continue to read excerpts
Why were you not playing guitar?
Not that I condemn the guitar. First, it doesn’t give you much room to move. Like you saw tonight, when I played the guitar, I had to move back for the microphone. But if it’s on wireless, I can move freely. But people love the guitar and that’s what Glo wanted me to prove tonight.
What is your take on the trend in Nigeria where artistes mime their songs instead of live performance?
I tell them, you cannot be miming, you have to perform your song. A day would come when your fans would want you to play live then you have a problem. Like tonight, D’Banj played live and you can attest to the fact that he was greatly appreciated by his fans and guests. Almost all artistes now play live. And that is the way it should be.
What then makes a good musician?
First, you have to know what you are doing. Music is more or less like water; you can use it for anything. We use water for everything, we drink it, we use water to bath and wash. That is music for you. So, like people want good water, they want good music too.
You returned with your guitar tonight at the Glo Evergreen Series. How long have you performed without your guitar?
I think for about 17 years I have not played the guitar in Nigeria on stage, though I do that at world tours. I also have a lot of guitars which I play in studios. I am also a producer.
Continue to read excerpts
Why were you not playing guitar?
Not that I condemn the guitar. First, it doesn’t give you much room to move. Like you saw tonight, when I played the guitar, I had to move back for the microphone. But if it’s on wireless, I can move freely. But people love the guitar and that’s what Glo wanted me to prove tonight.
What is your take on the trend in Nigeria where artistes mime their songs instead of live performance?
I tell them, you cannot be miming, you have to perform your song. A day would come when your fans would want you to play live then you have a problem. Like tonight, D’Banj played live and you can attest to the fact that he was greatly appreciated by his fans and guests. Almost all artistes now play live. And that is the way it should be.
What then makes a good musician?
First, you have to know what you are doing. Music is more or less like water; you can use it for anything. We use water for everything, we drink it, we use water to bath and wash. That is music for you. So, like people want good water, they want good music too.
No comments :
Post a Comment
Dear BsB Reader, Please drop your comments and do visit us again